Saturday, June 22, 2013

Android Dreams

These videos will be very interesting to Blade Runner fans. In the first, Dick talks about
"... the problem of differentiating an authentic human being from the reflex-machine which I call an android... The word android is a metaphor for someone who is physiologically human but psychologically ... non-human. I got interested in this when I was doing research for Man in the High Castle [excellent alternative history novel in which the Japanese and Germans won WWII] and I was studying the Nazi mentality. I discovered that although these people were highly intelligent they were definitely deficient in some kind of ... appropriate affect or appropriate emotions."
Hence the "affect Turing test" used on androids in Blade Runner / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.





A lovely Sean Young, at the beginning of her movie career, talks about the challenges of playing an android.




The love scene between Rachael and Deckard, uncut.




Rutger Hauer: "Harrison is the villain." I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

2 comments:

steveyyz said...

Tyrell is the big genius and the big villain. Thanks for the links Stephen!

MrJones said...

Interesting vids. I misheard the test in Bladerunner as "void-comp" (short for void compassion). I'd guess it would identify sociopaths.

Blog Archive

Labels