Sunday, October 04, 2015

Understanding Genius: Helix Center roundtable video

You can watch the 2+ hour video of the roundtable on YouTube. I enjoyed the discussion but I don't like watching or listening to recordings of myself, so you'll have to tell me what you think of it ...

I was very flattered that several readers of the blog showed up for the event. Thanks to everyone who made it!



I'll be part of this roundtable discussion Saturday, Oct 3 in NYC. It's open to the general public and will be live streamed at the YouTube link above. I'm pleased to be on the panel with (among others) Dean Simonton, a UC Davis psychology professor and author of numerous books related to the theme of this meeting.
The Helix Center for Interdisciplinary Investigation
The Marianne & Nicholas Young Auditorium
247 East 82nd Street
New York, NY 10028
Understanding Genius

Schopenhauer defined genius in relation to the more conventional quality of talent. “Talent hits a target others miss. Genius hits a target no one sees.” Is originality indeed the sine qua non of genius? Is there, following Kant, a radical separation of the aesthetic genius from the brilliant scientific mind? What further distinctions might be made between different types of genius? If “The Child is father of the Man,” why don’t child prodigies always grow up to become adult geniuses?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels