Saturday, March 15, 2008

A fighter's heart

I recommend Sam Sheridan's book A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting to anyone who is interested in the fight game (ultimate fighting, martial arts, boxing).



When I started on Sheridan's path 15 years ago, I thought I'd write about it someday, but I never got past a single short essay I posted on my web page.

Sheridan studies muay thai (kickboxing) in Thailand, boxing at Harvard and later in Oakland (with Andre Ward), MMA in Iowa with the Miletich camp, and jiujitsu in Brazil (with BTT). He also travels to Tokyo with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria ("minotauro" -- former Pride and current UFC heavyweight champion) for his decisive encounter with Fedor Emelianenko.

Sheridan's insights and writing are good. The only problem is the guy has no ground game, so he writes about grappling -- the real heart of fighting -- like a mere journalist :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn! A professor of theoretical physics who also is a BJJ enthusiast! Where do you find the time to pursue to the highest levels these two seemingly "different" quests along with all your other commitments? :)

Steve Hsu said...

I'm certainly no where near the highest level in BJJ. When I had more time to train I was a decent blue belt at best, perhaps with better takedowns than most BJJers thanks to judo/wrestling.

I am still a big fan of the UFC and MMA, though. I suppose I can beat up any other theorist in the world :-)

Blog Archive

Labels