Monday, July 23, 2012

Michigan State University

I'll be moving from the University of Oregon to Michigan State University later this summer.

It will be difficult to leave behind many friends and excellent colleagues at Oregon. However, I'm excited to join the MSU community and to do what I can to further the research mission at one of the nation's leading land grant universities.
Stephen Hsu named new MSU research vice president 
East Lansing, Mich. — Stephen Hsu has been named Michigan State University’s vice president for research and graduate studies. 
The appointment, approved by the MSU Board of Trustees at a special July 23 meeting, is effective Aug. 20. 
Hsu is currently the director of the Institute for Theoretical Science and professor of physics at the University of Oregon. 
“In these days of shrinking federal research dollars, it’s imperative that we have the right person for this crucial position,” said MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon. “The breadth of Stephen Hsu’s experience as a scientist and scholar, as well as a Silicon Valley entrepreneur and founder of two companies, give him the background needed to succeed in this critical role.” ...

20 comments:

BlackRoseML said...

Wow, I bet will about 2-3.5 (the latter in introductory physics classes) STDV above your students at MSU. I considered that its admission standards aren't as high as HYPS or Caltech and the fact the physics students are the most intelligent college students.

MtMoru said...

Is this an administrative position or a real work position?

Sean Carroll said...

Congrats! Have fun at the new gig.

Razib Khan said...

congrats!

Sabine Hossenfelder said...

Congratulations! Good luck with the move and all :o)

Guy_Brodude said...

Like Nick Carraway, Prof. Hsu inevitably returns to the warm embrace of the Middle West ;-)

Emil Ole William Kirkegaard said...

Gratz!

JustinLoe said...

Congratulations!

Bobdisqus said...

Or as Russel Kirk refered to it as "Cow College". My unemployed niece got her advertising degree there. Clearly they are looking to improve the average quality of the staff.

Jeff said...

Congrats. Michigan is a great place to drive fast cars in the country. Some epic roads upon which to test the laws of physics.

RKU1 said...

Well, fifteen or twenty years ago, a physical relocation of 1000 miles or whatever would have involved a total severance of continuing discussions. But since things are location-independent these Internet days, after a while when I visit this blogsite I'll forget the move ever took place.

David Backus said...

Wow! The scenery will sure be different. Good luck.

Yan Shen said...

You know, at first I thought that Steve was heading to the University of Michigan, and I thought to myself that Ross had a decent MBA program. Then I realized that I had confused the University of Michigan with Michigan State.

In light of this, I suppose that I shouldn't complain too loudly that numerous people, including a few of my current co-workers, seem to confuse the University of Pennsylvania with Penn State. On the other hand, given the dark cloud currently hanging over Penn State, I shudder thinking that anyone would assume that I attended that university...

MtMoru said...

Penn's rep will suffer when you do your own mass shooting Yan.

Yan Shen said...

Why in the world would I shoot anyone? I'm perfectly happy, and unlike many whom comment on this blog, also quite secure about myself.

BlackRoseML said...

I went to a worse college than Penn State.

BlackRoseML said...

You're an Asian that got into a Ivy, while I went to a shitty state school (judged by average SAT score). I guess since an Asian like you went to an Ivy, they aren't that discriminated against.

Kyrilluk said...

Congratulation!

David Coughlin said...

My wife and I talk about this all the time. How much more intrepid movers had to be, even into the 80s. [I think it got much kinder in the '90s]

InfinityBall said...

University of Chicago has the same problem with U Illinois Chicago, which is probably the biggest difference in rankings with this type of confusion.

Blog Archive

Labels