Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Caltech wedding



I'm at Caltech this weekend, for the wedding of one of my college roommates and to give a seminar (Monday) on monsters and black hole entropy.

I'm glad one of us had the good taste to get married at the Athenaeum, the beautiful faculty club. Wonderful to be back on campus with old friends on a mild Pasadena evening. 20 years ago seemed like yesterday!

As the reception was winding down, we took a stroll down the olive walk to peek in on Interhouse, the annual 7 house bash that takes place in the fall term. During my time in Page house we engineered ambitious rides each year for the party, including a roller coaster, a sky tram over a lagoon in our courtyard, and a jungle raft ride along a flooded main corridor. I didn't see anything quite as impressive last night, but the kids seemed to be having a great time. Someone told me the male to female ratio is nearly equal in the freshman class -- quite a change from the old days :-)

Earlier yesterday, coming out of the gym, I overheard the following conversation:

Undergrad 1: Yeah, they emailed me the test. I guess it's honor code.

Undergrad 2: But it's a hedge fund, right? Is there an honor code?

Undergrad 1: Hmmm.... good point.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels