Text

Physicist, Startup Founder, Blogger, Dad

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Information theory, inference and learning algorithms

I'd like to recommend the book Information theory, inference and learning algorithms by David Mackay, a Cambridge professor of physics. I wish I'd had a course on this material from Mackay when I was a student! Especially nice are the introductory example on Bayesian inference (Ch. 3) and the discussion of Occam's razor from a Bayesian perspective (Ch. 28). I'm sure I'll find other gems in this book, but I'm still working my way through.

I learned about the book through Nerdwisdom, which I also recommend highly. Nerdwisdom is the blog of Jonathan Yedidia, a brilliant polymath (theoretical physicist turned professional chess player turned computer scientist) with whom I consumed a lot of French wine at dinners of the Harvard Society of Fellows.

1 comment:

Martin said...

I was fortunate enough to take Mackay's course. In fact, I commented about it recently on Cosmic Variance's best college courses post!

Blog Archive

Labels