Thursday, December 07, 2006

How green is my valley

The 85% hydro and wind figure is news to me, and I live here! Eugene beat out Austin, TX and Portland, OR for top honors.

As ranked by the GreenGuide:

Top 10 U.S. Green Cities

1. Eugene, OR (score 9.0375, pop. 137,893)

First on our list is the university town, Eugene, well known as a powerhouse of green industry, clustering sustainable businesses like an environmentally minded Silicon Valley. Nestled in the Willamette River Valley with views of the Cascade Mountains, residents enjoy numerous bike trails, clean air and water, parkland and outlying wilderness areas. Hydroelectric and wind power contribute over 85 percent of Eugene's power, reducing greenhouse gas emissions considerably. A little over 16 percent of Eugene is green space, including athletic fields, city parks, public gardens, trails and waterfront.

1 comment:

rz said...

Go Eugene!

I'm surprised we ranked higher than Austin. Yeah, I say 'we' despite not being there anymore and not being from there. I swear I'm Eugenian at heart.

Blog Archive

Labels