Monday, October 30, 2006

Bricks and broadband

OK, I have to admit I've been suffering from gizmo envy for some time now. How is it that a connected guy like me has no mobile device with always-on internet and email capability? How is it that even stodgy UO administrators sport fancy BlackBerry's while a wannabe hipster tech entrepreneur has no way of checking his email at SFO without paying T Mobile for wifi access?

Well, the situation is now remedied with Sprint's EV-DO data plan. For only $15 a month I get all I can eat broadband (up to 1 mbps or so) through my new gizmo, the admittedly brick-like PPC 6700 smartphone.

So far I'm pretty happy with the phone, despite the large form factor. It has a retractable qwerty keyboard (see link above) and is very functional -- I can ssh into my server, run emacs and use gmail. I can even use Bluetooth to get my laptop online, using the phone as a modem. Urbanites in Asia probably find my giant phone very amusing, but, hey, I live in the semi-rural United States, with its patchy broadband and 3G coverage.

I admit, it does make for behavioral problems when you can check your email at all times. I'd hate to know how many times a day I do it.


Sam Jackson said...

I couldn't handle a brick, but I love my tile--my motorola Q. The data plan costs from VZW bleed me, and it sure doesn't help my information addiction, but I love it all the same. With a little bit of style and marketing savvy companies and carriers could have a whole generation of young people clamoring for smarter phones. The corporate gurus are too stupid to realize that, I suppose. They're working on luring in more people more and more, at least.

tpraja said...

Have you seen the new India search engine they added all the cool features of popular productslike MySpace,YouTube, Ebay,craigslist,etc.all for free to use and specifically for India.Anyone else try this yet? First to Blend Search,Social Network,Video Sharing and Auctions Into One Seamless Product for Indian Internet Users.

Blog Archive