Saturday, November 18, 2017

Robot Overlords and the Academy


In a previous post Half of all jobs (> $60k/y) coding related? I wrote
In the future there will be two kinds of jobs. Workers will either

Tell computers what to do    
      or
Be told by computers what to do
I've been pushing Michigan State University to offer a coding bootcamp experience to all undergraduates who want it: e.g., Codecademy.com. The goal isn't to turn non-STEM majors into software developers, but to give all interested students exposure to an increasingly important and central aspect of the modern world.

I even invited the CodeNow CEO to campus to help push the idea. We're still working on it at the university -- painfully SLOWLY, if you ask me. But this fall I learned my kids are taking a class based on Codecademy at their middle school! Go figure.

(Image via 1, 2)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels